4. What did the organizer want Dr. Baker to do?
5.Can you imagine how the organizer would feel after Dr. Baker said, “You must be joking! I know nothing at all about that subject”?
1.Because he wanted to see whether he would be free that week.
2.Because they had never thought Dr. Baker would come to such a conference.
3.No, he didn't. He politely asked Dr. Baker to step out to make himself known to the organizer.
4.He wanted Dr. Baker to give a talk about DNA.
5.He must be equally surprised at Dr. Baker because he could not understand a mistake had been made.
Step 6 Practice
Please talk about Dr. Baker’s experiences based on each picture with your own words.
Key:1.Dr. Baker was surprised when he received the invitation one day.
2.Two of them greeted to the Dr. Baker and was surprised to see him.
3.The organizer was so glad that Dr. Baker stood up to help the organizer to give a talk.
4.The organizer was saying sorry to all listeners that the speaker didn’t not reach because of bad weather.
Step 7 Language study
Fill in the blanks with proper words.
out of breath, hold on, take a message, get through, stand for, make oneself known, ring back, point out, make up, send out
1. There are some invitations ________ .
2. I tried to call you up but I couldn’t_____.
3. I’ll _________ you _________ when I know the answer.
4. When he climbed up the hill, he was _________.
5. Will you please ________ a price list?
6. I asked her_________ while I left the telephone to call you.
7. She isn't in. Can I_________?
8. What does CBA ________?
9. May I _________ to the organizer at the conference?
10. He ________ her________ to me.
1. to send out 2. get through
3. ring; back 4. out of breath
5. make up 6. to hold on
7. take a message 8. stand for
9. make myself known 10. pointed; out